It’s that time of the year again; cold & flu season! Yuk!
Snotty noses, mouth breathing, kids that bring home every single virus under the sun to share with their brothers & sisters! And us!
It feels like you are just getting them over something, when the next thing hits!
And if you are lucky, you manage to dodge most of these bugs, but every now and then, one will get you!
Lucky me, I ‘got’ the kid’s last bug and I am now trying to fight it off.
But like most parents, I don’t get a ‘day off’ to kick this thing, so I have to soldier on and fight it as I go.
This recipe is a family recipe that my dad swears by. He always puts in the rum! I only put the rum in when I am sick.
I will make the tea without it as a ‘maintenance’ hot toddy before bed during winter, to keep me from getting sick.
Here’s the recipe:
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon tumeric
- 1 lemon juiced or a good splash of lemon juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon honey
- (optional 30ml rum or scotch)
How to make it:
- Put all the ingredients in a mug, stir to combine, then fill with boiling water.
Extra kick if you are sick:
- Once you have had your tea, go to bed with extra bedding (a doona for the Aussies, duvet for the North Americans or comforter, not sure what country calls them that!)
- The lemon, honey, cinnamon & turmeric go to town on the cold symptoms, the rum puts you to sleep and the extra donna makes you sweat out the bug.
- You wake up in the morning in a pool of sweat, I warn you now, but it breaks the fever.
AND, if it didn’t work the first night, cos it is a bad cold, it has always worked for me on the second night!
AND, a final helping hand; Dad also always has a spoonful of Enoz when he’s sick. A good clean out in the tummy takes out the bugs, then you replace it with the hot toddy and bob’s your uncle!
I hope it helps guys. Anything to keep you cruising along, right?!